Saturday, June 12, 2010

Another assignment done!

So I just finished up the Omeka assignment and once more I am feeling pretty good about it. I have to thank Tim again for posting some really helpful instructions on the discussion posts because at first I was a bit confused.I believe that I have completed this correctly but I will have to wait and check out some other collections once they are up to make sure!

I found that this assignment was a little more time consuming than I thought it would be, probably took me a couple hours total. There is just so much information that a person an input that I can only imagine how long it would take if they filled out every single field. This is an interesting way to keep track of collections and materials. I found that searching and savings articles was much easier for me than using websites. I wasn't exactly sure how to get full use of the "file" field when I didn't have an actual document to attach. I will admit that this assignment was a bit frustrating because the instructions on the syllabus didn't really provide much detail. Maybe a little more detail will come for the next assignments in the beginning so poor Tim doesn't have to answer 50 separate questions on the discussion boards.

Good luck to the rest of you on this assignment. Again, time consuming but not too difficult once you get going!

2 comments:

  1. I was frustrated with the assignment directions, too. I even asked, "what does 'build a collection' mean?" and didn't get a straight answer. "'Build a collection' means find some sources about the assigned topic, and put in as much of the metadata information as you can, and upload the file if possible." Would that have been so hard to explain?!? I had to piece together that answer from several different threads.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, the assignment wasn't very straight forward at first, but after I too, pieced together all of the bread crumbs that Tim left for us, I feel like I actually completed the assignment the right way. Hopefully the next one won't be as confusing at first : ) But I do have to say, that Tim gives some great hints as to how to get things going (only after some badgering by the class, of course!)

    ReplyDelete