Thursday, June 10, 2010

Watch what you put online

I thought that this was a really interesting and relevant article about the pitfalls involving educators and blogging. It's hard to say what my thoughts would have been when I was in high school because of course there wasn't blogging, texting, facebook and all the new high tech communications that we have today. I know that I am careful about what I post on facebook because many employers can have strict rules about that. Also, when I look to switch professions once I complete my degree (or sooner!) and become a librarian I don't want to run into any unnecessary road blocks. Finding a person's blog, facebook page, etc. is an easy as a Google search so I think it is important that we are all careful. On the other hand I don't think that people (educators especially) are unaware of the potential problems that they could face posting their thoughts so some fault must lay with them. As the article states, the teachers are warned "Perhaps that's why the Pennsylvania State Education Association says on its website that teachers should not blog about their "job duties, colleagues, supervisors, or students." It is a little sad that educators are losing their freedom to speech in order to make sure no lines are crossed but (again like the article says) it is better to be safe than sorry. Especially in a time when jobs are few and far between. To read the full article please see below.

https://sremote.pitt.edu/inquirer/home_top_left_story/20100609_Ex-teacher_learns_the_hard_way__Watch_what_you_put_online.html

No comments:

Post a Comment